Sunday, August 11, 2013

Energy is for the birds.

I survived the first week of season. It's getting easier and easier with the years that come. It's been a hectic week where I've spent more time off the court than on, but the on-the-court moments have reminded me why I keep coming back for more. Practices were smooth, my players looked calm, and the talent gives me goosebumps. There were hiccups of course, but that's the name of the coaching game: flexibility. The more I remind myself of that, the more calm I tend to be. I'm glad to get to this second week where things start to "slow down" (quotation marks are necessary because in the real world, it's not slow and school starting is coming sooner than later). I'm just glad to spend more energy on the court aspect of my job.

Speaking of energy, I had a player on my club team last season who made these no no-bake energy balls. I always wanted to try them, but knowing she made them with her hands freaked out the severe inner germ freak in me (and if you know me, this isn't surprising).

I just made some and had a taste... delish. Can't wait to use them for energy this week.

Ingredients
·         1 cup (dry) oatmeal (old-fashioned oats)
·         1 cup toasted coconut flakes
·         1/2 cup chocolate chips
·         1/2 cup peanut butter
·         1/2 cup ground flax seed
·         1/3 cup honey
·         1 tsp. vanilla
Method:
Stir all ingredients together in a medium bowl until thoroughly mixed.  Let chill in the refrigerator for half an hour.  Once chilled, roll into balls of whatever size you would like.  (Mine were about 1″ in diameter.)  Store in an airtight container and keep refrigerated for up to 1 week.
Makes about 20-25 balls.

No comments:

Post a Comment